Sunday, May 19, 2013

Bear Guns- A discussion





I haven't talked about guns yet on this blog but today I had a conversation with my Dad that brought it up.

I go hiking and I do a very small bit of mountain biking in some national forests nearby.  This is also bear country.  Whenever I go out in the countryside I always bring food, water, firemaking tools, a folding knife and fixed blade, first aid supplies, and my handgun (Walther PPQ 9mm) and an extra magazine.  I love the Walther, it is a great EDC gun and concealed carry, but it would be a poor bear gun.  9mm does not have the energy to stop a bear.

I talked with my Dad for about an hour and I told him about my small adventure today in the foothills.  I did a little mountain biking with my buddy, we hiked a bit and looked for more trails for hiking and biking.  While we were up there the thought crossed my mind that, "this is bear country, it is spring, and mother bears are very protective of their cubs."

I wished that I had my DSArms FAL while I was up there, 20 rounds of .308 will make anyone feel safe in the wilderness.  But that rifle is heavy!  He told me about a man in Wisconsin who was recently attacked by a bear and it mauled him pretty good.

Large bore revolvers are good guns but hard to shoot well and a follow up shot is nearly impossible.

Rifles like the FAL are super heavy.

A lever action in .45-70 would be a great wilderness bear gun, but they are expensive.

We decided that for the price a pump action shotgun with ghost ring sights, magazine extension, and a sling would be a great wilderness bear gun.  An 18inch barrel would be nice and handy, the rifle sights would be great for accurate shooting.  That shotgun filled with slugs would be a great wilderness gun.  Buckshot and bird shot only add to the versatility. 

My Dad and I will be on the lookout for used or new 12 gauge shotguns to be my new wilderness gun. 

What are your thoughts on bear guns or wilderness guns?  Post in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment