Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Review of the Leatherman Style PS: Retain Self Sufficency When Flying

Last week I finally got my hands on a Leatherman Style PS.  I am really excited for it. 

This is Leatherman's attempt to make a TSA compliant pocket or key chain tool.  I think they did a very good job at this.

It consists of a spring loaded pliers along with a wire cutter.  Honestly I would probably never use the wire cutter.  This is a light duty multi-tool.

The file doubles as a flat-head screwdriver.  The tweezers is decent.  The scissors is a nice little scissors.  I have no complaints about it.  The carabiner  that attaches the tool to your keys is also a bottle opener or cap lifter.  I tested it on Saturday, it worked, but it didn't work great.  If this is all you have then it will do the job but there are better tools. 

I didn't have any problems taking it through the security at the airport.  I decided to keep it on my keys and leave it in my jacket pocket when it went through the x-ray machine.  I figured that if they had a problem with it then I would address the fact that it has no blade and meets their regulations.  But you never know with TSA they can make whatever rules they want on the spot.   

Leatherman notes that on their website that they had problems with security at two airports.  One in South Africa and one in Southern China.  I will keep carrying mine while I fly and as part of my EDC. 

If you have another multi-tool then you should use it, but if you are flying and this is all you have its pretty darn good.  I would recommend it to people who fly often, especially if they want to retain a little bit of self sufficiency.  

No comments:

Post a Comment