Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I really want to go back to Africa, also a few back pack ramblings

I lived in South Africa for two years.  I miss it.  I usually miss Africa at night, right now it is 2 A.M. and I miss Africa. 

Earlier today I looked up the price of plane tickets to South Africa, they were not cheap, but I do know that I can save up money and I can make this happen.  I am also looking at ways to lighten the load while I travel.  I really want to get into ultra-light traveling but then I would not be able to carry a knife when I travel.  I have carried a pocket knife since I had a paper route when I was 13 years.  The prospect of not carrying a knife isn't a very happy one.  I feel naked without a pocket knife. 

This blog really got me thinking about traveling the world light.

How to Travel with Less Stuff

It really is cool what the author can fit into a 19 liter bag for six months of traveling.  If he can do it for six months then I could do it for two weeks in South Africa.  At least I think I could. 

In addition to my longing for Africa I am really into backpacks right now.  I recently bought the Osprey Quantam.  I really like it so far, although I haven't taken it on any hikes yet.  I did take it on a cross country road trip and it did just fine.  So far I like it but I really need more time to try it and use it. 

I also seriously like this bag, Tom Bihn Synapse 25.  Although I have a few back packs, for example I kept my Kelty Redtail, which was my EDC bag for the last five years.  I really want the Synapse 25. 


No comments:

Post a Comment